The job of a Slinger Signaller is one of the most important jobs on site. It requires skill, diligence, and concentration, working alongside the lifting teams to provide safe direction and supervision to the crane operators. Your main responsibility is to ensure the safety of the operators, and any other workers or site visitors that could be at risk.
You will act as the eyes and ears of the crane operator, who are likely to have an obstructed view of their surroundings, controlling the movements of excavator or other mobile plant, by carefully monitoring the bucket for any obstructions and other vehicle movements and pedestrians.
Typical duties include:
- Directing the movement and loading/unloading of vehicles and directing the movement of mobile plant and cranes.
- Minimise the amount of reversing where possible and be aware of the dangers caused when reversing.
- Use practical techniques and agreed system of signalling and hand signals to assist drivers and operatives in all manoeuvres.
- Be visible to drivers at all times whilst directing vehicles and plant.
- Stand in a safe position, from which to guide all vehicles without being in the way.
- Keep traffic areas free of pedestrians.
- Be fully compliant with PPE requirements of the site. Communicate clearly and effectively on the 2 way radio at all times.
- Report any near miss incidents involving vehicle movements on site to the management teams and complete associated paperwork.
- Comply with all Health, Safety, HR and Environmental policies and procedures.
- The above list is not exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.